In message <5380eb10.9030...@selasky.org>,
Hans Petter Selasky <h...@selasky.org> wrote:

>On 05/24/14 20:43, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> Does FreeBSD support the "VIA VL800 Chipset" that this add-on card
>> is alleged to contain?
>>
>> Does FreeBSD *ever* work with *any* USB 3.0 equipment?  Or is this
>> just a far off dream?

>What version of FreeBSD are you running.

9.1-RELEASE

>Have you tried -stable?

No, I have not.  I did also try 10.0-RELEASE (LiveCD) and also again
got a bunch of errors and the system refused to see the drive.... again.

I tried that (10.0-RELEASE) with multiple different motherboard and
multiple different USB 3.0 add-in PCIe controller cards.

All tests failed, all of the time, with both systems.

>Yes, USB 3.0 _works_ with FreeBSD.

Please can you be more specific?

What host controller chipsets are supported, exactly?

Please post the list.

And specifically, is the VIA VL800 chipset supported?

What controllers and what external USB 3.0 devices have you yourself
actually _successfully_ tested, and which version of FreeBSD exactly
did you use for those tests?

I'm sorry if I seem to be aseking too many detailed questions about
this, but I've previously also tried using external USB 3.0 hard drives
attached to a totally different system, also running FreeBSD, with
a different motherboard *and* a totally different USB 3.0 card in
it and that experiment also ended in tears and utter failure.

I really would like to know what specific USB 3.0 hardware was properly
tested and qualified as working and fully supported *before* 10.0-RELEASE
went out the door.

Was there any?  Or did USB 3.0 support only begin working properly post
10.0-RELEASE?

P.S.  To be clear, I am interested in finding out if FreeBSD actually has
any support for any kind of *rotating* USB 3.0-attached external storage.
Right at the moment, I don't really care if USB 3.0 flash sticks work.
(Those are quite obviously going to be easier to make work.)

P.P.S.  Not all of use have the luxury of being able to run -STABLE.