On 2015-06-02 19:04, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
Andriy Gapon wrote this message on Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 21:15 +0300:
On 02/06/2015 19:49, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
Andriy Gapon wrote this message on Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 14:20 +0300:
I am very new to bhyve, so sorry if I am asking something silly or obvious.
I am using bhyve to speed up my testing and it seems that each time I need to
restart a VM I need to go through the cycle of destroying it with bhyvectl
--destroy, then re-loading a kernel with bhyveload and then actually booting the
VM with bhyve.  It seems that I have to do this even if I don't change th kernel
between reboots.  My first naive impression was that the point of bhyveload was
to load the kernel once.  Seems it ain't so?

Hmm...  I'm not seeing that here...  I just scp a new kernel into the
vm, install it, and run shutdown -r now which drops bhyve back to
loader, and loads the new kernel... I've been doing this quite
successfully over the last few months...

I am running a month old HEAD though...

I guess you are running bhyve through the shell script vmrun.sh?
I am doing everything by hand.

Correct:
sh /usr/share/examples/bhyve/vmrun.sh -g 6444 -d mach10s.img -t tap0

It's nice.. shutdown -r now and shutdown -p now both work exactly as
you'd expect them to... :)

yes, vmrun.sh puts bhyve in a while loop.

--
Allan Jude