Excerpts from Miroslav Lachman's message from Sun 20-Dec-15 09:57:
> Peter Ross wrote on 12/20/2015 09:15:
> >> As far as my homework digging revealed, FreeBSD supports four
> >> hypervisors:
> >>
> >> * bhyve
> >> * KVM
> >> * QEMU
> >> * VirtualBox
> >
> > .. and later Xen was mentioned.
> > Which of the solutions are worth testing? Do you have recommendations?
> >
> > I am thinking of server software and "containerisation" only, so USB
> > passthrough or PCI etc. is not really important.
> > Stability, performance and resource utilisation (e.g. possible
> > over-allocation of RAM) are matter most.
>
> VirtualBox is the most usable and you can use it in headless mode. If
> you are really not satified with VirtualBox, you can try Xen.

I agree that VirtualBox is really stable, and I'm using it in production
environments for many years. However, there are a couple of possible
drawbacks: It does not support VRDP (remote console) and USB2/3 on FreeBSD.

Tha latter is probably not really important (although I needed it too).
The lack of remote console is bad for troubleshooting and/or remote
(re)installation.

Currently I have one bhyve Windows Server 2012 machine, which works
fine, although it's not really loaded at the moment.

Sergey