On 20/01/2017 16:44, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 07:20:15PM +0300, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
On 20.01.2017 18:57, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
Here is the situation:
I have a VPS server from a well reputed provider (and they deserve the
reputation), running FreeBSD 11 stable x64 under Xen Full Virtualization
(HVM). I have the xn0 interface which is working fine. I intend to use VIMAGE,
so I compiled the kernel, added cloned_interface="bridge0" and restarted the
server. But as soon as I am attaching the xn0 to bridge0, the kernel is
panicking and the server restarting.
Any suggestion/pointer/test-instruction is highly appreciated.
The code crashes at line 427 of sys/netinet/if_ether.c:

stable/11 has problems accounting the outgoing octets of any xn
interface, although this isn't connected to your case.

Just to rule out any uncertainty, try this patch:

See PR 213439,

Note, I'm not a developer nor a committer, just a humble sysadmin.
This problem is unrelated. ARP statistics is global and isn't related to
some specific interface. IMHO, the kernel panics due to missing VNET
context. As I see from the code in sys/dev/xen, it is not capable with
I cannot really look into this right now due to lack of time, but I'm more than
happy to review/apply patches in order to fix this.

Further to my previous, since the provider of the VPS confirmed that they could run FreeBSD 10 and use bridge without any issue, I thought I'd have a look. The section from my crash-debug
0xffffffff80c2dd93 is in arprequest (/usr/src/sys/netinet/if_ether.c:427).
422             ro.ro_flags = 0;
424             m->m_flags |= M_BCAST;
425             m_clrprotoflags(m);     /* Avoid confusing lower layers. */
426             (*ifp->if_output)(ifp, m, &sa, &ro);
427             ARPSTAT_INC(txrequests);
428     }

I compared the file (if_ether.c) from 10, and it seems that the line 426 is different -- it contains NULL instead of &ro at the end. I did nto see any ro.* (right before this section) on the file in 10 either. Could this be significant?

Thanks and regards