Adrian,

- ifconfig step (creation of pseudo device) completed successfully
- wpa_supplicant gives the following type of output (I can't paste it here, but I'll describe the structure of the output) :

1st message : Initialization successfull

Then the following blocks of messages (they alternate or repeat)
Block 1 :

Trying to associate with <mac address> (SSID='myssid' freq=5180 Mhz)
wlan0 : Authentication with <mac address> timed out.
wlan0 : CTRL_EVENT_DISCONNECTED bssid =<mac address> reason=3 locally_generated=1
ioctl[SIOCS80211, op=20, val=0, arg_len=7] : Can't assign requested adress

Block 2 :
Trying to associate with <mac address> (SSID='myssid' freq=2412 Mhz)
wlan0 : Associated with <mac address>
wlan0 : WPA: Key negotiation completed with <mac address> [PTK=CMP GTK=TKIP] wlan0 : CTRL_EVENT_CONNECTED - Connection to <mac address> completed [id=0 id_str=]

Block 2 is sometines followed by :
wlan0 : CTRL_EVENT_DISCONNECTED bssid =<mac address> reason=0
and then followed by block 1

For as far as I understand, the driver switches between the 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz band of my wireless network. Indeed my wifi router is configured to support both bands but apparently my wifi driver can only handle the 2.4Ghz one.