On 05-30 14:55, Lukas Laukamp wrote:
> [...]
> >>and other solutions like QEmu, VirtualBox or the BSD Hypervisor
> >>BHyVe are very great for testing and home and so I would say the
> >>development command and control center but not for server
> >>virtualization or other things which provides services which are
> >>needed for productive use.
> >>
> >>When I look at the wikis and read about the support for Xen on other
> >>unix like systems I only see NetBSD or Solaris (and it's forks) for
> >>a realy good Dom0.
> >>
> >>So does someone can explain the differences between FreeBSD and
> >>NetBSD? I see not so much without looking for the supported hardware
> >>platforms. The BSD with the most differences I think is OpenBSD.
> >>
> >>And the other thing is that I never worked with Solaris, but it
> >>seems that they have great Xen support. So I don't know whether it
> >>would be a good choice. I think that I will have much to learn to
> >>work good with a BSD but I hope it's possible for me.
> >>
> >I personally would like to switch to FreeBSD domO mainly due to the ZFS
> >storage (its snapshots, easier atomic backups and zvol, fast cloning,
> >and easier exporting via iSCSI). I know I can do almost all of it using
> >LVM, just not so easly and reliabiliy or automatically.
> >
> >I currently use Debian GNU/Linux, and I'm very happy, espcially due
> >package system, but considering there is Debian kfreebsd, I would like
> >to make switch in the future when domO will be available. I now use
> >kfreebsd (with 9.0 kernel) as domU without bigger issues.
> >
> >As of NetBSD i have no idea of good distinguishing differences. It is
> >more portable than FreeBSD for sure (which its domO support proofs), but
> >there is many small differences, including hardware drivers or various
> >subsystems scalability performance for examples. I belive there is still
> >code exchange between various BSD operating systems due similar
> >internals and libearal licensing (especially networking code and
> >networking drivers).
> >
> >I would somehow be carefull with Solaris, as Oracle isn't very
> >open-source friendly IMHO (despite its ocfs or btrfs work). I also
> >failed to run Solaris on the Xen, but it may be my incompetence. :(
> >

> Hey all,
>
> I answer to this mail because it's related to the discussion in this
> thread. As told I have my Debian Dom0s and now I wan't to create a
> FreeBSD Xen PV DomU. Does I really need a HVM guest like described
> here:
> http://wiki.sysconfig.org.uk/display/howto/Xen+FreeBSD+8.2+DomU+%28PV%29+--+Step+by+Step+Howto
>
> I already downloaded the prepared DomU Image but it's version 8.2
> and not 8.3 or 9.0 so could I simply upgrade the guest to 8.3 for
> example?
>
> Because of the thing with kfreebsd on Debian I look into the
> repositorys of my AMD64 DomUs but I can only find the FreeBSD kernel
> sources. Can I simply compile this kernel with special options to
> get a working DomU kernel or do I have to take another way?

HVM is not needed. I sucesfully installed freebsd 9.0 on Debian squeezy
i386 with PV few months ago (and given precise instructions for it). No
compilation was involved.

It involves getting:
  - official FreeBSD 8.0 ISO image
    $ wget
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/i386/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso
  - official kfreebsd kernal available in non-kfreebsd Debian repo
    $ apt-get install kfreebsd-image-xen
    (available also in http://packages.debian.org/sid/kfreebsd-image-9.0-1-xen)
  - seting up xen .cfg file for installation [1], and empty disk image [2]
    given below
  - using serial console for installation using normal official Freebsd
installer

So.

A config for installation:

$ cat kfreebsd9.cfg
name = "my-freebsd"
kernel = "/boot/kfreebsd-9.0-1-xen.gz"
extra = "vfs.root.mountfrom=cd9660:/dev/da1"
memrory = 256
disks = [
        "file:/home/kfreebsd9-disk1.img,sda,w"
        ,"file:/home/FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso,sdb,r"
]
$

Set up a empty 10GB disk image.

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/kfreebsd9-disk1.img bs=1M count=0 skip=10000

Start machine:

$ xm-or-xl create kfreebsd.cfg -c

Install what you want, then using 'ansi' terminal over this serial line.

after install go to shell, and add xen console to /etc/inittab file!
Then remember to clearly shutdown.

Then change config to this ones:

$ cat kfreebsd9.cfg
name = "my-freebsd"
kernel = "/boot/kfreebsd-9.0-1-xen.gz"
extra = "vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/da0p2"
memrory = 256
disks = [
        "file:/home/kfreebsd9-disk1.img,sda,w"
]
$

And start again:

$ xm-or-xl create kfreebsd.cfg -c

Log in and do the rest of setup, like network configuration.

I think it is simplest method.

For further references:

   - http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-xen@freebsd.org/msg01178.html

--