I would like to resurrect this old but open and valuable ticket. Instead
of the rules changes proposed in it, I would like to offer something a
bit more radical:

The diplomat/spy instead of present abilities gets the unique flag (only
one can be built per player), it destroys itself automatically when
doing a mission, and gets the ability to take over any enemy unit
stacked alone in the open (with no gold cost), or, if targeting a city,
to destroy all defensive buildings in a city.

This makes the unit powerful, able to turn the tables on a defensive
hardpoint, but limited (in number and loss effect), while getting rid of
the evil pop-up menu and simplifying the diplomat game logic.

  - Per