On Feb 5, 2008 5:58 AM, William Allen Simpson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Michael Kaufman wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 07:49:58PM -0800, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> >> ...   Why not just use the ptile->index as the city id?  ...

> > without knowing the tile location that the city sits on (the capital city?)
> >
> I really like Jason's idea.  It might take time to implement, but it could
> ameliorate half a dozen recent bug reports that come to mind.  And this
> would be a good time to eliminate the id field, as 2.2 will never generate
> savegames readable by earlier versions (because of new terrain).

Much as I like this idea there are some significant hurdles.

* punit->homecity will basically have to be changed to punit->hometile
(or just punit->home, a tile pointer).  This field must then not be
shown to other players (which may be the case already).
* pplayer->capital (?) must not be changed to pplayer->capital_tile.
Maybe we can just pass the string name of the city here.

Nothing else comes to mind offhand but I imagine we'll run into
similar issues on the way.

-jason