I indicated earlier in the discussion thread where you added the revised
test that is now failing, because the two pointers are updated by
different packets and apparently aren't always equal....

I assumed you had a reason for making the change.  Since you don't, I'll
remove the change.  Thanks for letting us know.

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> I do not recall doing any such thing. It is not the code that I have
> typically worked on. Generally I did not touch the client if I could
> avoid it.

This aconnection.player change appeared in PR#16459:

   static void pick_nation_callback(GtkWidget *w, gpointer data)
   {
-  if (game.player_ptr) {
+  if (aconnection.player) {
       popup_races_dialog(game.player_ptr);