Marko Lindqvist wrote:

>  A couple of invalid string conversion problems from server logs.
> Server is 2.1.4 (+ unrelated local changes). Client also has reported
> version 2.1.4.
>
>  "<Player name> rules the Poles." - I think the player name part is broken
> here
> player

Another note - indeed it is surely the player (leader) name that is
causing the problem.  Polish has a few latin-based characters that
aren't available in the latin1 charset, particularly the crossed-l that
appears to be used in a lot of their leader names.  This *should* be
transliterated easily into a simple l but last I checked glibc's iconv
does not do transliteration (if you use libiconv, a separate library, it
will).

It's possible freeciv's handling of this failed case should be better.
If we can't transliterate we should just write the semi-garbage
characters to the command line anyway no doubt.  The bug then becomes
fairly minor.

-jason