On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Brandon Van Every <bvanev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Madeline Book <madeline.b...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> By the way, do you play with the "prompt for city names"
>> local option enabled?
>
> No.

I spoke too quickly.  Yes, I do, as it is the default option.  I'm
just so habituated to hitting OK without even thinking about it, that
it's psychologically invisible to me.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Madeline Book <madeline.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally, if you were to play as the Catalan nation using
> the sdl gui and build cities until you get "PerpinyĆ "
> suggested, would the name get garbled?

I played another game as Catalan and reproduced the error.
1) Load the attached game catalan-1400.sav.
2) play as Catalan
3) hit Turn Done, since the settler doesn't have any moves remaining
4) build the Settler.  The "What should we call our new city?"
dialogue box appears.  It contains the garbled string "Perpiny[X]".
5) Selecting OK will crash the game.

So, the name generator is somehow at fault, and it is specific to utf8
chars at the end of the string.

> Also, what happens when you play a nation like Brazillian
> or Turk? Do the utf8 characters in the start or middle of
> the city names get corrupted too?

Brazilian, in the middle, no problem.  Didn't try Turk or at the
beginning of the city name.

> How about if you edit the save game manually and put in
> the missing <a0> (that's the character with value 0xa0,
> or 160 in decimal). What happens if you load the game
> now?

Didn't bother to try it.

> Or what if you just paste in "PerpinyĆ " into the city
> name suggestion popup or when renaming the city, what
> does that do (hopefully not just rejected by the
> server)?

No problem here.