> Why do you use the setting number as first argument
> to almost every setting function? The only function
> that takes a setting id should be setting_by_number().
>
> > for (i = 0; i < SETTINGS_NUM; i++) {

This way I can use

pset_scategory(i)

else I would have

pset_scategory(setting_by_number(i))

If the second one is prefered I will change it.

Reading your comments I also found that I'm missing
some knowledge about how to code (I did learn some
basics about C/C++ coding but I do mainly html/php).
I think I have to reread the patches #13805 and
#13810 (and an unsend patch to add action callback
function) carefully with regard to variable and
function naming and possible simplifications. And
I need to do some planning before coding ...