OK, that makes sense - much better to fix the problem deeper down. Shows how
much I have to learn about the depths of the code. :-)

Still, I can't help but wonder: can_units_do_base() and
can_units_do_base_gui() return essentially the same information, but with two
different code paths and different tests.

Besides applying your patch, wouldn't it be good to also normalize these two
functions? (Not necessarily the way I did it, but something to prevent
discordances like this, should the base functions change again.)