It is not a real big deal. It just mean having 2 sets of functions for ASCII
and UTF-8 (maybe with different prefixes). Without big changes, it can be
improved a lot.
e.g., fc_snprintf() just need to cut the string after the last complete
character if returning -1.

> We could look eagerly at GLib's support for Unicode/UTF-8

The Glib support could also be a solution. Such code is already in use in the
gtk2 client.

> Out of curiosity, if I made a patch to switch freeciv's internal
> encoding (client, server, and network encoding) to UCS2/UCS4,
> would the change be supported by the current developers?

I am not sure to know how this work, but if someone explain to me.