Update of bug #16003 (project freeciv):

 => trunk client crashes on connect to 2.2.0 server

Follow-up Comment #1:

> trying to connect from a 2.2.99 client to a 2.2.0 server makes
> the client segfault. This is because some network packet types
> have changed in 2.2.99.

The actual reason is that the 2.2.0 servers send the conn_ping packet before
checking the capability of the connecting client. Your patch would work, but
it's very complicate. Mine just move the send of the connection ping after
the capability check.

> Moreover, a modified server can make an older 2.2.0 client
> segfault as well. Now one can't obviously do much about a rogue
> server but maybe this should be fixed to a more gracious
> behaviour.

This is the responsibility of every hacker to keep their server compatible,
dealing with the capability string.

> I tried my luck at a simple patch for the trunk client as well
> as a more thorough one. There is also a third patch attached
> for a typo in team support code that also results in a
> segfault.

This is not related, but this should be fixed, I will commit it.

(file #9135, file #9136)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: trunk_login_connection_ping.diff Size:2 KB
File name: S2_2_login_connection_ping.diff Size:2 KB