Just played with the v7 patch on S2_2 on my system (Ubuntu Linux 9.04). Looks
good.

Tried all my tests from comment #22 and comment #23 and they all work without
any errors.

Tried making something listen on IPv4 only ("nc -l -p 5556" appears to behave
like this on my system) and a manually started server failed to start ("0:
bind failed: Address already in use"), as desired. A client-spawned server
moved on to port 5557.

Tried disabling IPv6 on my system (by rebooting with "ipv6.disable=1" on the
kernel command line) and both client-spawned and manually-started server
continued to work as expected.

Tried the recipe from comment #26 to reproduce the original bug where a
client couldn't connect to its spawned server, and successfully did so with
unpatched S2_2. Verified that with the patch, the problem goes away.