Cossacks were mixed community of many nations, with a predominance of East
Slavic element. Very important role played here Tatar etnos. Yes, I agree
with the previous speaker regarding the definition, however, the Cossacks
were so characteristic group that I see no reason to combine the two
nationsets. In addition, it can not be equated Kievan Rus to Ukraine, Russia
or Belarus. About Ukraine as a separate etnos can speak during the
Commonwealth of Two Nations, previously Ukraine was only a region in Rus'.
The Polish and Russian governments have shaped the national identity of
Ukraine.

Cossacks from Russia aren't the Ukrainians (Ural, Siberia, etc.).