> It should probably be forbidden to move to a city not adjacent
> to a native tile. At least, it would simplify it a lot.

FYI that would break civ1 ruleset compatibility with civ1. It was common
practice to build canals with cities next to each other in civ1.
But those canals seem to be broken anyway (civ1 ruleset has been crashing,
most likely because of them, for years) and I don't think civ1 compatibility
is a high priority for us any more (not many people use it anyway as is
obvious from the fact that I'm the only one who has filed bugs about those
crashes)