> autoheader-2.65: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in
> configure.ac

It's been my plan to switch from AM_CONFIG_HEADER to AC_CONFIG_HEADERS during
freeciv 2.4 release cycle. Reason this is not been done earlier is backward
compatibility. Switch will increase our minimum requirements.

Our policy is not to increase minimum requirements in stable branch, for the
reason that anybody who has built earlier version should be able to build
bugfix versions (including possible security fixes!). So I'm not going to do
anything for S2_2. If it turns out, as I suspect, that fix is required for
S2_3, I'd vote for making exception to policy there. There has not been 2.3.0
release yet.