Good point, then my "fix" may not be an improvement.

But the code still looks buggy to me and should be fixed one way or the
other.
Currently, in the same situation (with no tech upkeep), the AI could act
different if tech_upkeep_style == 1 (where "rate_sci_balance" is going to be
0), than if tech_upkeep_style == 0 (where "rate_sci_balance" is going to be
-1)

In the first case (0), if the AI estimates a negative income even with taxes
maxed to gold, then the AI keeps max taxes to gold.
In the 2nd case (-1), if the AI estimates a negative income even with taxes
maxed to gold, then the AI switches to maximize science.

I simply fixed it to be 0 in both cases. The other solution does not really
fit the current code, it would be too non-linear behavior, where AI increases
the taxes to balance the income, and when taxes can not be increased more due
to max rates, the AI suddently maximizes the science.
I'd suggest in that case to maximize the gold, but keeping a minimum of 10% to
science. I have already noticed how important it is to avoid the AI gets stuck
at 100% taxes, and just a 10% to science could make the difference.