> There is precedent

That doesn't mean it has been handled perfectly, though.

My interpretation is that at least documentation in tarball should tell where
the sources are easily available, and that is entirely sufficient (GPL doesn't
require one to automatically push out sources at all - promise to provide them
for someone asking for them is enough) I'm not entirely sure about Debian
policy, but at least with some packages they have wanted to put everything
like this to their source packages, so README.packaging would be one place to
mention these.