> "The requested map is too cold to allocate starting postions.
> Try setting the temperature to a value greater than 14."
Unfortunately, trying to anticipate all the ways in which generator settings
could lead to failure to allocate starting positions would be rather
difficult, especially trying to determine the threshold for individual
settings -- the process is complex and I think any such advice is likely to be
perturbed into unreliability.

I think at best we could give some sort of general hint to the user to review
their map settings and try to make the world less uninhabitable (too cold, too
hot, too wet, too small, too crowded etc).