We then agree that my patch is sufficient for S2_5 at least? I have some plans
to make threaded AI generally to consider "more than one step" of
improvements. Some groundwork for that has already been made, but I think we
will see actual benefits only during 2.6 development. The idea here is that
threaded AI is allowed to be more computationally expensive than classic ai as
long as it happens midturn, not while human players are waiting ai to finish
turn change activities.

As for avoidance of recursive code: We have nothing against it as long as you
know what you're doing, and avoid very deep recursion. Here I check against
infinite recursion (road A depending on B depending on A) and max depth is max
number of road types. We've had problems with infinite recursion, and
something like going through entire map by making recursive call for tiles
neighbour tiles.