Roads integrate with themselves by forced insertion of the road for which the
vector is being constructed into it's own vector immediately following
initialisation (and before reviewing the integrates field) in ruleset.c and
packhand.c.

Or, rather, that was the intent: looking at the code again, I'm not convinced
it works that way at all, and I no longer understand how I could have achieved
successful test results.  I'll reset and review, and very much suspect this
will need an updated patch that correctly sets the bitvector on the server
side (it gets set on the client side because the network-delivered ruleset
doesn't match the actual ruleset, but that working looks to be a par of bugs
interacting coincidentally the right way rather than correct code).