To summarise, there are four distinct backtrace signatures in this ticket so
far:
0 _finish_city (comment #2)
0 _stop_timer (comment #5 second)
0 _fill_grid_sprite_array.clone.13 via _idle_callback_wrapper (comment #5
first)
0 _fill_grid_sprite_array.clone.13 via _blink_active_unit (comment #6)

(I'm guessing the last two will have the same root cause.)

The only other clue is that the production, presence, or cleanup of pollution
may be somehow implicated in some or all of these. (I've had some email
conversations indicating more issues here -- "the client begins misbehaving in
these conditions. (freezing, crashing, cma errors ... )")