On 17 January 2014 18:54, David Lowe <doctorjl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2014 Jan 12, at 3:16 AM, Jacob Nevins
> <0jacobnk.fc...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> You might have hoped that with the move to 2.4, OS X's firewall would
>> have become *less* fussy, since locally spawned servers should now only
>> listen on the localhost interface <http://gna.org/bugs/?18530>. Perhaps
>> it has unexpectedly become more fussy as a result of this change in
>> Freeciv -- which behaviour does 2.3 on 10.8 have, if it's easy to test?
>
>         As an addendum, here's some data to chew on - from netstat.  Summary:
> 2.4 initializes an additional IPv6 socket compared to 2.3.  Is this expected
> behavior?
>
> With freeciv-2.3.4
>
> Active Internet connections (including servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
> tcp6       0      0  localhost.freeciv      localhost.51436        ESTABLISHED
> tcp6       0      0  localhost.51436        localhost.freeciv      ESTABLISHED
> tcp4       0      0  *.freeciv              *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0  *.freeciv              *.*                    LISTEN
>
> With freeciv-2.4.0
>
> Active Internet connections (including servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
> tcp6       0      0  localhost.5557         localhost.51623        ESTABLISHED
> tcp6       0      0  localhost.51623        localhost.5557         ESTABLISHED
> tcp6       0      0  localhost.5557         *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp4       0      0  localhost.5557         *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0  localhost.5557         *.*                    LISTEN

 I suspect that new socket to be LAN announcement. Their IPv6 support
got better between 2.3 and 2.4 (not that I'd call them functional in
2.4) It might be a oversight that server forked by client opens that
socket - I don't think single player games need being announced. I'll
check that during the weekend.

 - ML