So does the rule become, when adding a previously missing file to a ruleset on
a development branch, add a *include type stub to stable branches?

Or should we always have such a stub file whenever a fallback to a file in
default/ is desired? This future-proofs against arbitrarily distant futures.
(If so, I guess we might want stubs for default.lua as well? -- that's
slightly different in that I think you're never meant to have a file called
default.lua in your ruleset, but always fall back to the provided one.)