For Land/Big Land I'd argue this is appropriate, because Big Land can't
usefully guard Land (Land might go somewhere Big Land can't).  Land can guard
Big Land, but in practice, the move rate disparity makes this a poor idea
(because Land can't keep up).  If the AI never chooses either of these
combinations, it will probably be more effective.

Merchant is more complicated, but as far as I can see, the AI never sends
bodyguards with UTYF_TRADE_ROUTE (see dai_manage_caravan() and similar), so
this has no gameplay effect.