whereas jorneg writes [Ubuntu 12.04 Unity?]:
> To see the problem I use the system monitor of gnome. Every
> time you open a city window the overall memory of the
> process freeciv-gtk2 increases...

Taken at face value, these seem to be two different symptoms, unless the two
process monitors are reporting different measures of process memory usage.

In bardo's case, I wonder if the leak is somewhere like the X server -- could
we be causing images/textures to leak within the X server? Can you spot any
other process' memory usage increasing?

(jorneg writes: "You continue to have the same problem with Ubuntu 12.04" ...
do you mean that you, jorneg, have the same problem?)