I think you are right about X server, jtn.
>Can you spot any other process' memory usage increasing?
In my case, the process "freeciv-gtk2" keeps constant memory usage, "kwin"
changes when I open window, but it returns to similar memory usage when I
close it.

It is Xorg process that increases the "shared memory" (2nd column of the
system monitor) a lot (5000K or so) everytime I open a window, and more if I
click the production dropdown menu.
And it keeps growing if I continue playing, from 100M at start, to 200M in 5
min of average gameplay.