Thanks for the reply Sveinung,

I have some immediate answers, the rest I will answer when I’ve had a chance
to run the server and client separately from the command line as you’ve
instructed.

I did build from source using the svn revision 25125.  I started the game
using an apple script that runs freeciv-gtk3 and does not start the server
separately.  It crashes every time I press the turn done button in the GUI
after the first turn.  There is no saved game file when this happens.  I also
ran the freeciv-gtk3 client from the command line to get the output that I put
into my initial report and did not start a server in a separate window.

Here are the parameters that I used with configure:

./configure --disable-nls --with-sdl-prefix=/usr/local --prefix=/usr/local
--enable-client=gtk3 --with-libiconv-prefix=/opt/local
--with-sdl-exec-prefix=/opt/local --no-create --no-recursion