Thank you for the extra information, Dennis.

_One other detail...the same build works fine with an existing/loaded game._
Just a suspicion: Do each new game look different or do you have the same
starting position on the same map etc? If they games look the same you have
probably accidentally stored a seed for the random number generator that
produce a game that triggers the bug. In that case I am interested in a
savegame. You can save the game before pressing turn done by using the
command
  /save bug22180
on the Freeciv server's command line. When that is done I recommend setting
gameseed and mapseed to 0 (random).