> I know the classic ruleset has had work_raise_chance set in the
> past, but has it ever been the case that it's had that and any
> units that weren't NoVeteran? If not, we won't have any veteran
> workers in savegames via that route.

That needs to be checked (I guess checking HEAD of each branch is sufficient).
I think we used to have veteran settlers/workers that got movement bonus in
supplied rulesets too, but it's possible that it has been the case in custom
rulesets only.
When was "NoVeteran" itself introduced? There might be savegames originally
created when settlers lacked the "NoVeteran" flag simply because the freeciv
engine didn't support it. I also think that in distant past settlers did gain
veterancy by winning combat (as defender) like any other unit.