There are a couple of potential existing bugs in civ1/civ2 rulesets:
* civ1: Barracks will make any unit veteran, including Settlers/Diplomat which
are marked as Veteran (and also sea/air units). This has an effect on the
units.
* civ2: Diplomats are NoVeteran, yet Communism will make them veteran. This
has an effect on the units.

The effect on diplomats will have been much stronger since 2.4, since I missed
these in bug #19850.

I'm guessing these are bugs and that Settlers/Diplomats should have a single
veteran level in the new world, but I don't know civ1/civ2 behaviour for sure,
maybe it's correct as it is?