Hi !
If you are more interrested in low level stuff you can work with Eric Auer on
the FreeDOS kernel. There is few bugs to fix and few feature to add - mainly
implement the COUNTRY.SYS (functions about national support). You don't have to
write it from scratch as it is already present in unstable non continuing
branch of kernel.

Other tasks are various drivers like Eltorito CD-ROM or ASPI drivers.

If you are more interrested in hi level stuff you can write a GUI for some
command line tools. For example I am missing some nice CD burning program for
DOS. We have two command line program - CDRTOOLS, and one other which I can't
remember now, but it is very annoying to write all the parameters on command
line. So write a shell for CDRTOOLS :-)

Or you can join to Arachne development team and help improve a DOS internet
browser Arachne. In recent time few people left the devel team so you are very
welcome. Look at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/arachnedevelopment/