On at 2018-11-05 18:01 +0000, Bret Johnson wrote:
> Being the author of two of the items mentioned (USBDOS & SLOWDOWN), I can say
> that there is no problem in including them with FreeDOS.  SLOWDOWN is a much
> older program than USBDOS, and the licensing and even my opinions of what the
> licensing should be have changed over the years.
>
> What I want is for all of my programs and their derivatives to be free, in
> every sense of the word, for people and businesses to USE.  I don't want them
> making non-free stuff, in any sense of the word, from the programs themselves
> or their source code.
>
> I realize this is kind of a hard and foreign concept to relate to other
> people, but I want my programs to be forever free in every sense of the word.
>  I don't differentiate between "free beer" and "free speech" as some others
> tend to do.  My programs are free, just like salvation is free.  I will also
> give the source code for any of my programs to anybody who wants it (although
> some of it is quite messy) as long as they "keep it free".

Your USBINTRO.DOC says:

> You also cannot distribute the programs, documentation, or
> source code and charge (even indirectly) for their distribution.
> You can charge someone enough to cover your actual, direct costs
> for distribution (disks, shipping materials, postage, etc.), but
> cannot charge for "handling".  This also means that you cannot
> distribute the programs, documentation, or source code directly
> from a web site that charges a "registration fee" in an attempt
> to make a profit or to recover direct or indirect costs for
> maintaining the web site.

This I believe is incompatible with FLOSS as defined by the FSF and OSI.

Anyway, in the interest of avoiding license proliferation, it'd be very
convenient if you switched to a well-known license like the GNU GPL
(v2-only, v2+ or v3+). That makes it easier on any user who wants to
understand (and honour) your usage conditions, because they'll already
be familiar with the GPL from other occurrences of it.

Regards,
ecm