Hello,

> On Dec 27, 2021, at 7:41 AM, richardkolacz...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> Jerome
>

> Thanks for your detailed instructions - HOWEVER  nothing seemed to work for
> me.
>

> With my Windows 10 computer, I could not even get to any install screen (for
> FD13 RC5), even IF I wanted to use full install USB stick for hard drive
> install (maybe I just misunderstood your instructions). So for instance I
> could not get to the FDISK stage.
>
> Using RUFUS to FAT32 format usb and the usb img file results in an error
> message (and the usb stick is "dead" now) - as below.
>

> I hope the following links (photos of attempts for FreeDOS install) are
> self-explanatory.
>

> When using RUFUS with FD img file
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/bevyd8dn2nfg18c/FreeDOS13_format_error.PNG?dl=1

This makes me wonder if there is an issue with the USB stick itself.
Or, if RUFUS is manipulating the IMG before writing it.

For all intents and purposes, I haven't used Windows in 15+ years. I do have a
Win10 box. But other that cross-compiling and video conferencing, I basically
don’t use it. So unfortunately, I have know idea what RUFUS may or may not be
doing when it writes the image to the USB stick.

> With FD 13 RC5 on NTFS formatted usb stick (booting from this)  --> no OS
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3lh2tu6w6lbfoc/noOS_IGP2203.JPG?dl=1

The OS does not natively support NTFS.

Booting from and using FAT32 is not a problem.

> Using RUFUS to format FAT32 with RUFUS version of FreeDOS
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4cf6dg4d440g30/Rufus%20IGP2204.JPG?dl=1

Since the RUFUS version of FreeDOS boots… This should work.

Download the LiveCD.
Extract the zip and mount the iso image.
copy the FDOS-x86 and packages directory from the CD to the USB stick. (The
rest won’t be needed)
boot the USB stick.
change to FDOS-x86 and run “setup adv” (no need to backup, make sure your OS
Target drive matches the USB stick — drive C: also probably skip updating the
MBR)

That should install BASE and allow you to install packages using FDIMPLES.

Otherwise, you can do stuff manually and you can get a mostly working version
of FreeDOS.  But, the directory structure will probably not match what is
expected by many things and you may run into many minor issues. But, it is
doable.

Jerome