clamav seems not to work. if it should work i did not find out how. freedos av which is also available at ibiblio works with restrictions and a very old 20 mb database from clamav, an actual one has in about 170 mb and did not work.

yes, i am in contact with Mateusz, but there are some more basic things to decide, e.g. should help work with htmlhelp which has some strange behaviour (crashes, links show nonsense and sometimes lead to nirwana, etc) or should we go to amb which is nice and easy to use, even with utf-8, but at the moment different to html ( I am sure you can save the ama files as html for publishing in internet, but this files will not work with the restricted htmlhelp exe which only supports a few cp and utf8 characters)

Willi

--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit mail.com Mail gesendet.
Am 05.03.22, 10:45 schrieb Robert Riebisch <r...@bttr-software.de>:
Hi Wilhelm,

> a) have a look at the bug list, e.g. xdel (reported by you), edit
> (reported by me has several bugs), fdisk
> (reported by me: sizes for a primary size > 1000 MB cannot be entered as
> a value), fd antivirus (only works with a 10 years old virus definition

What is FD Antivirus? Do you mean ClamAV?

> - and only under special circumstances), backup/restore was announced
> but is not yet available, scandisk (if I remember right it is scandisk)
> is only an empty window where nothing
> works) and others. There are more but I do not remember at the moment.
>
> b) have a look at the different readme files and you will see a lot of
> "still to do", "plans for the future" etc.
> I think all this (or at least the biggest part) should be fixed before
> updating to a new version.

Sorry to disagree! Many "still to do" or "plans for the future" were/are
just ideas by the developers at that time. It doesn't mean these things
really should be implemented. As time is limited for all of us, it's
better to focus on things people would actually *use*. 'Listen to your
customers.'

> If it is not done now, it will never be done.

That would probably be okay for most things.

> c) in about 50 percent of the external commands have NO NLS support, so
> it is not "a system from a single source".

Yes, it's sometimes a problem. Although English is okay for me, I feel
more comfortable with my native language German.

> d) With some programs it is extremely hard to translate them as a
> translator you have no feeling for the end result
> which has the effect of ugly line breaks, bad translations because the
> variable is set at the wrong position etc.

ACK

> e) the help files have to be updated and translated into different
> languages (oldest parts are from 2007), additional links and better
> examples have to be added, it has to be checked which commands can be
> removed (e.g. backup/restore are empty - and a lot of others) or have to
> be added, this is a job that cannot be done within a few weeks / months.
> And first of all it is necessary to decide how to write the help,
> htmlhelp is buggy and amb uses an absolute different version for
> creating the files with utf8 and reformatting them to the correct cp.
> And at the moment I know no solution how to reformat it to html and how
> to check if all links work fine (for html there is a simple tool).

Did you report the AMB question to AMB author Mateusz Viste?

> As FD 1.3 now has an internet support, why not simply make updates /
> changes like in Linux with wget and fdimples?

With the FreeDOS "rolling-release" distro SvarDOS
(<http://www.svardos.org/>) one would use commands pkgnet and pkg.

> With an updated fdimples and wget (which also supports no NLS in FD) it
> would be possible to find and add new games / files / tools / whatever
> from a server - and Jim has the chance to announce it whenever they
> appear. So people do not look every day with fdimples but get updates
> whenever there is a new tool available. AND: the number of downloads
> stays high!

The community should not rely on Jim making all the announcements alone.

Cheers,
Robert
--
+++ BTTR Software +++