Hi,

Back to the FreeDOS 2.0 topic…

Jim has mentioned the possibility of slimming down the release some for 2.0.

At present we have the options of BASE, BASE + SOURCES, FULL, FULL + SOURCES
durning installation. But with how easy package installation is after the
initial install using FDIMPLES, I wonder why bother with FULL at all?  Why not
just install BASE? The user could install additional packages later. As for the
option to install SOURCES? IDK. I think the vast majority don’t care. As for
the rest, the sources are in the packages. But, do we need to ask everyone to
make it slightly easier for a select few during normal installation?

In other words, during normal install may it not be better to just skip the
"pick you package set with / without sources” prompt and just go straight to
“install now” and install BASE w/o sources. Then in advanced mode provide the
existing BASE & BASE with SOURCES and the CUSTOMIZED with or without sources”
options? (Advanced mode already provides the customized options during install).

( Eventually, FDIMPLES will get support for multiple online repositories. For
now, it is limited to using local media (InstallCD, BonusCD, RepoCD, USB stick,
HD Path, etc). However it does offer some more advanced features like package
change sets to automatically add/remove a user’s custom package preferences. I
think few (if any) users know about or use those features. )

As for the Live Environment, I’ll leave that for later.