The branches that receive updates (1.2, 1.3, latest) contain the latest version
of the packages that we have created. I don’t see a reason to add a new branch.
If we decided to change package file extensions (and possibly format), 1.2 and
1.3 would be detached from Latest. And most likely would receive few if any
updates.

Jim already provides the ‘raw’ files under a couple directories at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/ . They are raw mirrors
and most are not in package format.

Oh, I was confused thinking latest was not in package format. It is because it
is in repositories.

I see that there is less categories in freedos/files than in the repositories
however.

I am very surprised that 1.2 and 1.3 repositories are (still unsure) symlinks
to latest repository.

Because in my mind, you have no right to modify 1.2 or 1.3 after they have been
released.

But it seems the project don't share this mindset.

As for changing the extension, IDK. It would prevent users from just unzipping
things which is good and bad. As for the extension, .dpk is already in use and
would probably cause confusion. Not sure about .dpg. But if we were to change
it, I think I’m partial to .fdp (F)ree(D)OS (P)ackage.

I like very much the .fdp suggestion.

I think we should set for goal to be able to use USB keys and drives for next
version.

Almost every computer have USB, but not as much have optical drives.

USB disk images, or simply a .zip of a repository that you would copy on your
USB drive for installation would be very nice.