> On Apr 1, 2022, at 7:42 AM, Paul Dufresne via Freedos-devel
> <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>

> ---- Activé jeu., 31 mars 2022 21:42:12 -0400 Michael Brutman
> <mbbrut...@brutman.com> écrit ----
>
> Please forgive me for getting lost on this thread, but what exactly is the
> problem that we are trying to solve?
>
> Are we trying to make things simpler for novice users?  Advanced users?
> FreeDOS maintainers (Jerome in particular) ?
>

> When I said one should not modify a previous main directory of a released
> version, I think the problem I try to resolve is to allow maintainers of
> packages to compare the version on the released media with the more recent
> versions, be it to evaluate the impact of a vulnerability or a change causing
> bug in earlier version, or something similar.
>
> My idea of releasing is, mostly upgrading the tree of packages by:
> 1)creating a new sub-version main repository that contains security and
> updates of the current version
> 2)create an empty sub-version update and a security repository
> 3)create a new sub-version media with the content of the newly created main
> repository created at step 1
>
> I think part of the reason that we have not feel the need to do it like that
> is that we build the media from an alternative
> place: gitlab repository. So we don't need, did not need the main repository
> to build the media.

Correct. Originally, the RBE would only pull packages from ibiblio, process
them and create the release media. During the development of 1.3 (forget which
RC), the RBE was update to be capable of building the release in additional
ways. Both related to using Git. Namely the FreeDOS archive on GitLab. The
default is to clone the master branch of the package, do some processing (less
required than those pulled from ibiblio) and create the release media. That is
now the default method used. However, there is an additional option. The RBE
can look for (and when present) a specific branch during the clone process. It
can use that branch to create the build.

> Maybe we should come back to the question wheter we should continue to use
> ibiblio for releasing packages, or should concentrate on a (gitlab or github)
> repository.

I think the ibiblio repo should be kept for several reasons. First, you can
connect over plain http. Another, they downloaded zip can easily be installed.
Ibiblio is easier to browse.