> On Mar 28, 2022, at 6:04 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>

> Hi!
>
>> Jim has mentioned the possibility of slimming down the release some for 2.0.
>> At present we have the options of BASE, BASE + SOURCES, FULL, FULL + SOURCES
>> durning installation.
>> But with how easy package installation is after the initial install using
>> FDIMPLES,
>> I wonder why bother with FULL at all?
>
> Even with Ubuntu, the default still is to download a LARGE image of
> a DVD, not a SMALL network installer. In addition, which tiny part
> of todays hardware supports network for DOS? The part which does not
> would force DOS users to first download 100 separate packages from
> another OS by hand before handing them over to FDIMPLES, so I really
> like having a FULL ISO :-)

Once again, I don’t think the packages should not be included on the media.
Although we may decided to change what is included in the release and what is
excluded, that is not what I am referring to. For the moment, lets assume no
changes what is included. With that assumption the packages included on the
media would not change. What I was thinking about was only changing what got
installed automatically. Possibly limiting the install to just BASE. The user
could then install any of the other packages that would still be on the install
media. But, by default those would not get installed and left to the user to
pick and choose. No downloading would be required. The packages would still be
on the CD (or other install media).

> Also, creating the corresponding source ISOs could be automated and
> those contain be only zipped sources without the binaries to be small.

Sure, it is doable. That would provide the advantage of squeezing more things
onto the CD (or at least reducing it size). However, it would require
additional overhead and require the end user to fetch another CD if they want
the sources.