>> License evilness. Better to have the EDR DOS style
>> hack for files above 4 GB file size than "that".
>
> Than what "that" ??? Isn't it the same thing ???

I thought there was some discussion about exfat or whatever the
MS thing for big files on embedded devices is, as that is not FAT
in the DOS sense at all and highly proprietary...

>> How about 64 kB?
>
> Heh ??? DOS can read or write full 64 KiB

I was only talking about cluster sizes, not about the
amount of data that you can read or write in a single
int 21 call. The latter is indeed 65535 bytes, but I
would prefer a multiple of the cluster size or 4096.

Also, a cache can extend reads (read-ahead) or pool
writes to larger chunks. Limits for that depend on
the BIOS, e.g. 1 track or 127 sectors for floppy or
older BIOSes but more when using LBA - at least the
int 13.42 and 43 data block uses a WORD for number
of to be read or written sectors, but I doubt that
any BIOS would be happy to transfer 65535 sectors
(almost 32 MB) in one call ;-)

>> I think some hacks even support 128 kB
>
> I would highly nonrecommend hacks using 128 KiB clusters
> (maybe that's what you meant ?).

Yes, and I agree. Even 64 kB clusters are a bit evil.

Eric