On Jul 20, 2011 1:37 PM, "Bernd Blaauw" <bbla...@home.nl> wrote:

> Op 20-7-2011 3:50, Bart Oldeman schreef:
> > It's probably best to make things explicit (unless the goal is a true
> > Win32->DOS cross-compile), using DOS16 utilities, by changing the last
> > part of mkfiles\watcom.mak to:
> >
> > CFLAGS1 = -os-s-wx-bt=dos
> >
> > #               *Implicit Rules*
> > .obj.exe:
> >   $(BINPATH)\wlink sys dos f $<  lib
> > $(SUPPL_LIB_PATH)\SUPPL_$(SHELL_MMODEL).LIB op q
> > .c.obj:
> >   $(CC) $<  @$(CFG)
> >
> > But I haven't tested this!
>
> And now the fun part: compiling on Windows x64. No support for running
> 16bit programs at all.

Thanks, worked like a charm (see below).

It shouldn't be too difficult if someone actually wanted to (I use virtual
machines with DOS and WinXP instead of my native Win7x64 so have no
desire).  The utilities all [except LOAD_ICD.exe] compile and seem to work
properly with a simple wcl name.c after removing (or modifying) the #ifdef
memory model to ensure far data pointers to build win32 versions (assuming
Win32 version of Watcom used).

I tested and committed Bart's suggestion above as it makes the build work
much better and should have minimal impact on anyone else who might be
building -- the big gotcha is that config.std (after copying to config.mak)
needs to be modified to change
    ..\scripts\echoto $(CFG) $(INCLUDEPATH)
    ECHO $(CFLAGS1) > $(CFG)

as echoto treats = as a separator character same as space i.e. the -bt=DOS
into -bt DOS.

Jeremy