Hi Bernd,

if "schreef" is the simple past for wrote, was is the present... "shrijfen"? :)

Part of the reason I'm trying to make a USB-stick bootable is to be able
to have a *writeable* removable medium, for example to be able to save
a backup copy of the running BIOS image before flashing.

Using your method, I would get a ramdisk with the FreeDOS boot floppy
in memory, which would mean it would be quite difficult to save the old
BIOS image.  In fact, I have already got a method working for booting
over the network, which uses pxegrub and memdisk, to more-or-less do
what you describe, but via network rather than USB-stick.  If you are
interested, I documented the method under:

        http://www.unix-wissen.de/linux/BiosUpdate/index.html

Nevertheless I appreciate your suggestion, and will give it due consideration.

cheers,

Robert Urban