OK.  Back to the standard development kernel.
config.sys still has himem.exe and emm386.exe.  No
autoexec.bat.

Boot floppy without running FDISK.  Reboot Linux.  Partition table normal.

Copy it to the floppy this time!  :-)

Reboot FreeDOS from floppy.
<enter>
<enter>
A:>  fdisk

Displays a bunch of garbage after (Y/N).  No [Y], no characters I can
find on my keyboard.

Try <ESC>...advances to next screen...garbage after Enter choice:
Try <ESC>...back to prompt.

Reboot...I didn't like the looks of that.

This looked normal.

A:> fdisk
[Y] <return>
[4] <return>

No partitions defined.

Restore the disk partition again.  I suppose I could check and make
sure that it's emm386 instead of himem, but I hope this gives
y'all enough information to debug this.  I also DO NOT feel like
trying this on any of my other computers!

Meanwhile, personally, I don't recommend using FreeDOS FDISK!  :-(

Mark