Hi Blair,

But as far as I know FDISK /CLEARALL will remove the MBR. If I don't put
it back, the hard drive will NOT boot at all when Windows setup calls
the reboot code...

The hard drive will not boot, but the Windows CD should be able to.
Unless it is Win95.

Perhaps a misunderstanding? I'm not using a Windows CD, I'm building over the network. You basically put an image of your o/s with customizations on a network share, boot to FreeDOS, create temporary partition on the first physical hard-drive, then run the Windows setup program. The setup program has to reboot to begin the next phase, and this is the point where it would fail if there was no MBR.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)