Hello Bernd,

> a dump against MSDOS would be interesting, with same kind of programs
> loaded.

I'm looking for ms dos 6.22 floppy images. This could take a while.

Maybe I should try qemm 8.03 from this webpage:
http://www.chsoft.com/dv.html
Afaik this software gives big memory boost, but some games will crash.
Is qemm compatible with free dos?

> *FreeDOS kernel uses 64KB of extended memory, the so-called HMA
> *HIMEM might have a tiny bit of XMS usage, next to also providing it.
> *EMM386 has some buffers/overhead in XMS.

Found, this 800kb is eaten by emm386
Adding NOVCPI recovers 393kb of xms but ufo2 won't start :(

> *COMMAND uses about 200KB of XMS

150kb - fine for me

> I doubt there are ways, unless you want to use more conventional memory
> instead. the HMA area is never recoverable to my knowledge.
> You hardly use UMBs (upper memory) so using UMBPCI instead of EMM386
> might do fine for you.

Umbpci is for PII and above, 486 is not supported :(

> Thanks for posting such extensive output, it really helps.
> Only thing missing is your used autoexec.bat, and (fd)config.sys file
> contents.

: autoexec.bat

@echo off
SET dosdir=C:\FDOS
set PATH=%dosdir%\bin;c:\dn
set NLSPATH=%dosdir%\NLS
set HELPPATH=%dosdir%\HELP
set temp=%dosdir%\temp
set tmp=%dosdir%\temp
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330
mouse
dn

: fdconfig.sys

!SET lang=EN
!LASTDRIVE=Z
!BUFFERS=20
!FILES=40
!DOS=UMB
!DOSDATA=UMB
!set dircmd=/ogn /4
!MENUCOLOR=7,0
MENUDEFAULT=1,1
MENU 1 - Load FreeDOS with maximum RAM free, using EMM386
MENU 2 - Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS-memory driver
MENU 3 - Load FreeDOS without drivers
1?DOS=HIGH
12?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\HIMEM.EXE
1?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=TEST
;          1?INSTALLHIGH=C:\FDOS\BIN\LBACACHE.COM 512
12?SHELL=C:\FDOS\command.com C:\FDOS /P=c:\autoexec.bat
3?SHELL=C:\FDOS\command.com C:\FDOS /D /K set path=C:\FDOS\bin

> All FreeDOS programs work/behave fine on that pretty old system?

Mouse driver works fine :)
Other software like Dos Navigator and Ufo2 (terror from the deep)
works too.

In fact my problem is:
Adding lbacache could improve system performance so I could kill
aliens faster :) All I need is to recover some memory for cache.

--
Best regards,
 up                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]