At 07:56 AM 7/24/2006 +0200, Japheth wrote:

>  > But: DOOM does work with the current himem/emm386.
>
>As for me this is true for the newest versions of himem/emm386 (July 2006)
>only. In fact, any DOS4G application didn't work with FD-Emm386 previously
>because my machine has 768 MB.

Generally speaking, for PC environments it was not quite as simple as large
free memory.  Professional DOS4G-bound applications (the far more common
DOS/4GW never exhibited the problem as best as I can determine) did work
with high free memory in earlier versions on tested environments.  For
them, it was a matter of specific VCPI/XMS/EMS/raw memory configuration as
to when failure would occur.  If large memory amounts were sufficient to
trigger problems with DOS4G there, detection of the error almost certainly
would happened much earlier.

>And "do work" doesn't mean "works well". For example, the MIDI music
>played in
>Doom sounds "strange" with FD-EMM386 on my SB-Live card.
>  My guess is that this
>is due to missing interfaces in Emm386 (apart from the obscure GEMMIS
>interface), for example the documented "I/O trapping" interface (int 2Fh,
>ax=4A15h).

Without a true SB card, I can't duplicate the problem, but I would strongly
bet against the Windows-introduced and flavored GEMMIS being used in any
meaningful (or at least critical) manner by DOS4G -- or any other DOS
extender of notable popularity.  Function 4a15h is much more likely,
although until two weeks ago I had never verified that anyone actually used
the function on a live application.  It would be pretty easy to test DOS4G,
however.  Run a DOS4G application under a debugger, trap the int 2fh
interface, and breakpoint on condition ax=4a15h.  Unfortunately, I believe
this approach will not work here in the absence of a SB card, since card
detection and branch past unsupported code likely occurs prior to any I/O
permission setup via 4a15h.

Your comments raise an important point that is often understressed by
developers to endusers.  FreeDOS's health depends upon the type of feedback
as you have recently provided.  It is critical for all users to understand
that until a problem they are having is reported and duplicated in a
testable environment, it effectively cannot and does not exist with respect
to correcting the situation.

All current memory manager work has been tracking application
incompatibilities via Bugzilla, e-mail, and list, then mitigating any which
are found by suggesting user corrections to initial setups (common); making
the memory managers work around bugs in applications themselves
(infrequent); extending API support (occasional); or fixing actual bugs
(fairly rare).  When there are no pending verified bug reports, no further
development gets done.   Already, this has happened for multiple-month
stretches at a time.

There have not been any major feature enhancements for over a year on any
memory managers -- probably closer to two years.  Major feature work is
complete.