Some of these can be done...

Russell Button escreveu:
> I'm running vmware server under Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (Dapper Drake).

Nice :)

> 1.  Get IP networking running on the freedos VM.

What can be doen is install Windows client for dos (It is free), you
will have to find the driver for the board emulated by VMware. I know it
can be done, but didn't have time to do it...

> 2.  Be able to transfer data in and out of it to my Linux environment -
> ftp?  scp?

With the network above, using Samba. Or: there is a ftp for DOS, you can
use it a packet driver (if you don find it, I can send you one)

> 3.  Be able to telnet in from an xterm of arbitrary size and run the
> apps from a window larger than 640x480

probably NO! this is standard DOS limitation

> 4.  It would be great if I could print to a networked HP Laserjet from
> the VM as well.

This probably can be done :) but it is not easy. I do it in Dosemu using
  GhostPcl: http://www.artifex.com/downloads/ it takes a Laserjet fila
as input and outputs it to any Linux printer. What I am not sure is if
you can make VMware sent printer output to a file or Linux program.

You should try dosemu with FreeDOS, some things are simpler there ;-)
only one thing I know that cannot work: network file locking has problems...

Alain